Sodom and Gomorrah…the names are virtually associated with evil, sin, and judgment. How did these cities gain this dubious notoriety? Let united state look right into the Old testimony record and learn about these many sinful that peoples.
You are watching: Biblical story of sodom and gomorrah summary
Historical background and also story
The cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were an initial mentioned in Genesis 10:19. Abram, and his nephew Lot, had been traveling together, but their team had gotten too big, “…so the the land might not assistance both of them dwelling together…” (Genesis 13:6 ESV). They decided to separate into two various groups. Lot determined to settle near the town of Sodom.
We review this in Genesis 13:13, “Now the men of Sodom were wicked, great sinners against the Lord” (ESV). The urban of Sodom and Gomorrah, and also several that the bordering cities, were so sinful that God determined to ruin them (Genesis 18:20-21). Abraham interceded for the civilization of the 2 cities, motivated additionally because his nephew, Lot, lived there. The scriptures tells united state that, also with every his failings, Lot was a righteous guy (2 Peter 2:7-8). Abraham pleaded with the Lord, knowing His mercy and goodness (Genesis 18:25). The Lord ultimately said that the cities would be spared if ten righteous civilization could be found there (Genesis 18:33). However, there were not also ten righteous in the evil city.
The holy bible indicates that the city’s wickedness had been walk on for part time. Genesis 18:20 and also 19:13 tell us that the outcry caused by these people’s sinfulness had “become great”, indicating the an amount of time had transpired when the judgment accumulated against them. Oh my god hesitancy to carry judgment versus them can be viewed as an action of mercy ~ above His part. By providing them an ext time, God expected Lot to be an affect on your society. Many should have actually been preaching the reality of God to them. However, by the look at of things, the failed to do this.
Angels and also evil in the city
the scriptures tells united state that Lot’s wife did watch back…and was turned right into a tower of salt
The Lord’s angels do their method into the city of Sodom. Lot convinced the angels to invest the night in ~ his home instead of their original plan, which was to invest the night in the city square (Genesis 19:3). The significant wickedness the the males of Sodom was to be revealed during this night. The holy bible says that every critical man, young and also old, surrounded Lot’s house in stimulate to have actually homosexual relationships with the two angels. The angry townsmen were most likely unaware the the men were angels, but probably thought them to be Lot’s home guests. The perversion the the inhabitants of Sodom is where the ax ‘sodomy’ comes from and also applies to homosexuality in between males. This truly to be a wicked and vile city deserving of oh my gosh judgment.
In bespeak to odor the evil Sodomites from their perverted quest concerning the angels, Lot offered his daughters to the men as substitutes. The Sodomites refused and also attempted to pressure their method into Lot’s home. The angels blinded the guys of the city and also told Lot that he need to gather his family members in order come flee the city due to the fact that it would quickly be destroyed.
Therefore, God saved Lot, Lot’s wife, and also his 2 daughters. The angels led castle safely out of the city through the instruction that they were not to look back. Nevertheless, the bible tells us that Lot’s wife did look at back…and was turned into a obelisk of salt (Genesis 19:26). Disobeying God usually reaps dire consequences. Once Lot’s household was out of Sodom, the mr rained sulfur and fire from heaven on Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19:24), damaging all the inhabitants and also everything that prospered on the ground.
Sodom’s other sins
Sexual guilty were not the just sins of Sodom and Gomorrah. The holy bible tells us that they to be guilty the sinful pride. In addition, they to be selfish; they had an excess of food and wealth, yet would no take care of the poor and also needy (Ezekiel 16:49).
Isaiah 3:9 tells united state that not just were Sodom and Gomorrah guilty of every these sins against God, however they to be arrogant about it, not reasoning that sin against God to be something shameful.
Lessons from Sodom and Gomorrah
(1) God will judge those who refuse Him. Several time in the bible the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah were given as instances of God’s judgment on those who refuse Him and rebel versus His Lordship (Luke 10:12, 17:29; 2 Peter 2:6; Jude 1:7). God enabled the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah to proceed until it was clear the they to be a sinful people, who relished in sin, and also who continually chose to persist in it. God’s mercy is long-suffering, yet there will be a job of judgment for all.
(2) Jesus called His disciples that the day of Judgment would certainly be worse because that the people who garbage His message than it was for Sodom and Gomorrah (Matthew 10:15, 11:23-24). As negative as the guilty of the civilization of Sodom and Gomorrah were, the bible says that us are more accountable since we know the full story of oh my god plan and also provision because that our salvation. We recognize that Jesus came and died top top a cross for our sins. We know exactly how we have the right to be forgiven and also receive eternal life.
(3) It showed up that Lot had allowed himself to be influenced by the occupants of Sodom more than he influenced them. We Christians should take care, together we effort to affect our civilization for Christ, the we execute not enable the temptations of the people to corrupt us (1 Corinthians 15:33).
(4) Lot had been sluggish to speak up for God, if he spoke up because that Him in ~ all, so as soon as he ultimately spoke up, nobody took him seriously (Genesis 19:9, 14). As soon as we publicly damage our beliefs, it becomes much more challenging to be taken seriously when we do stand our ground later. If our walk walk not complement our talk, we are labeled hypocrites…and rightly so.
(5) Lot knew at an early stage that Sodom was a sinful city. Still, the holy bible tells united state that, also though the was conscious of their sin, he remained amongst them (2 Peter 2:8). In fact, the bible indicates that Lot was drawn ever closer to the city together time walk by. First, the “pitched his tent toward Sodom” (Genesis 13:12), climate he “dwelt in Sodom” (Genesis 14:12), and also finally he lived in the city and also “sat in the door of Sodom” (Genesis 19:1). If us dabble v sin, us are regularly pulled into it a tiny at a time, there is no noticing until we are fully involved. The safest means to stop sin is come stay much from its tempting influence.
The biblical document of Sodom and Gomorrah is one of the darkest story in the Bible. It is a glaring instance of sin’s power and also pull. The story provides us a glimpse of how much sinful humankind will go when they reject God and also indulge in angry rebellion versus Him.
However, in this story we likewise see the mercy and grace the God in that He make a means of escape for those who trusted in the offer of salvation native the coming judgment. That sell is still great today. Jesus Christ passed away on a overcome so that, through trusting in Him for our salvation, we will be conserved from a fiery judgment and delivered right into eternal life. Our eternal location depends on whether we pick to to trust Jesus or disapprove Him. The former leads to eternal life, the latter leads to referee such as Sodom and Gomorrah experienced.
See more: Flat Stomach: Can A Girdle Help Flatten Your Stomach ? Does Sleeping In A Girdle Flatten Your Tummy
“But i tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of referee for the land of Sodom than because that you.” (Matthew 11:24 ESV).
Here room some an ext Bible researches for you come consider:
The holy Bible, English traditional Version